Join us in the newest Amy & Heather adventure. In our nine year relationship, we have been through a long distance relationship, parents having blood clots, heart attacks, lung cancer, sibling rivalries, a hard job market, finding ourselves after college, moving in/living together, engagement, planning and executing a wedding, a horrific honeymoon and more. Up to now only those close to us have been able to watch the entertainment that is us dealing with life...but for this experience we will be taking it viral....

Sunday, October 26, 2014

So this is my first time blogging on my own.... so bear with me if this is a little wacky or long. ...

So as you know we did paperwork and then had some appointments. If you want to spare yourself some very graphic details please stop reading now... if you keep reading, don't say I didn't warn you.

So, first comes the paperwork.. Heather wasn't kidding about the phone calls to my parents, by the 3rd phone call they refused to hang up and just stayed on the phone for the remainder of the million and half questions about my family history. It was pretty entertaining, especially when my mom gave one answer and my dad another, and then would spend 3 to 5 minutes debating who was actually right. All in all that took almost 2 hours .. no joke!

Then came the appointments, and when Heather says we had appointments, she means Amy has more things stuck in her lady parts then ever before!

When you are going through IVF in any form at all, everything goes off of cycle days. Day 1 is when your period starts, and so on and so forth... after the first consultation appointment they have you waiting until day 1 of your cycle to call and let them know and then the scheduling starts. Jennifer (our nurse) said blood work is day 3 and then a whole bunch of ultrasounds days 6 to 12

Day one was a Sunday so day 3 was a Tuesday, I show up at 8:45am after not having eaten for the last 12 hours, and say "Hi, I'm here for my blood work." Easy right, WRONG. oh so very wrong. The response I receive... "we have you scheduled for an internal ultrasound as well"... UMM, Happy freakin Tuesday to you too! a surprise vaginal ultrasound.... have i mentioned that is has now been 12 hours and 15 minutes with no food and no coffee!!!!!! You can imagine the hangry that was setting in.

Ok, so 8 vials of blood later into the ultrasound room I go. So the extremely nice tech walks in and gets the machine all set up, places a condom on the probe, and then lube, and lots of it. She looks at what must be my petrified face and says, "Don't worry it doesn't all go in." and then says "do you want to insert it or me." My answer " You can go ahead I don't normally put things in that hole!"

Then the first time of many of times hearing "wow, you look great and normal".First time ever that I have been called normal, and I was ok with it.

Next appointment was on day 6 which was Friday of the same week where they squirt water into your uterus and then take another vaginal ultrasound (for those of you who are counting, that is 2 in 1 week! Lucky me!) but after the catheter was in i jumped when the "wand" went in and the nurse was very concerned about my jump, and asked me if I was ok, and my response "things don't normally go in there, so that was a surprise" .. after a good laugh by all it was again "wow, you look great and normal". She was actually confused why were were at IVF, I had to explain my wife and I were just looking to get hooked up with some sperm.

So then 1 more test, I can do this, no biggie... Damn I could not have been more wrong. Like dead wrong. This next test they squirt dye into your Fallopian tubes and take an x-ray to ensure they are clear of blockage. This test is hell, actual hell. Your Fallopian tubes are the size of a pencil line. that skinny and squirting dye up there while on an x-ray table is pretty darn awful.

Again, "wow, you look great and normal" so all the test are done, and I have clear understanding of what my lady parts look like.

So on to the consultation on Wed the 29th for the game plan. Fingers crossed that everything with the blood work is "wow, you look great and normal"

Next up, consultation debrief, pysch eval (because we are using donor sperm, and NYS wants to ensure we know what we are doing), and then DONOR PARTY!!!! Ladies and gentlemen we are going shopping for sperm!

Stay tuned, as this is going to be interesting!

Loves! -amy


No comments:

Post a Comment